In defense of Leonard Bernstein


Leonard Bernstein is the greatest figure in the United States of America’s classical music history.

I dare you to tell me someone whose legacy is equal or bigger than Bernstein’s. Here’s a hint: there is no one -not even close.

I am biased, truth be told. Leonard Bernstein holds a big place in my heart regarding the profound passion I feel for classical music. His recording of Mahler’s 5th symphony is my favorite of all time. I love his Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Brahms. I have watched and re-watched every single episode of his magnificent TV show and every magnificent lecture recorded on tape. I have read every book he ever published. Bernstein is without a doubt the most important tutor in my classical music education. 

I decided to begin this post with an unapologetic praise of Bernstein because I get really frustrated -and shall I add angry- whenever I read anything about him that, instead of celebrating what he did, focuses on what he might have done: “Oh, he should have devoted his entire energy to composing; oh, he was a victim of his own charm; oh, he loved to be loved all the time…”

What the hell is going on? How come American critics can’t just acknowledge what he was able to accomplish? Bernstein was the only American conductor who could stand up to the stature of Karajan in Europe, for example; he was also the only one who had a foot stepped in classical music and the other one in popular music. He was the greatest music instructor America could ever have: charismatic, enlightening, engaging. He was also very vocal about his political standing and he was an activist of peace. 

Bernstein was essential to the so called “Revival of Mahler” in the sixties; he championed the work of other American composers like his mentor Copland. Leonard wrote wonderful music, made astonishing recordings, and even wrote what are now considered fundamental tomes on music writing.

Isn’t that enough, for God’s sake? Leonard Bernstein was not perfect, I am very aware of that: he was a human being that made unfortunate remarks to the press, wrote corny music, and at times got too over the top with some of his orchestral readings. He was a human being indeed -but an extraordinary one.

Instead of condemning Leonard Bernstein, critics should celebrate him. It is not a matter of sentimentality, it is plain and simple a matter of justice. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares