James Rhodes: music does save you

I first knew of James Rhodes thanks to a very inspiring piece he wrote for The Guardian. I found his words so compelling that after reading it I immediately opened my clarinet case, took it out and played it. (Full disclosure: I frequently abandon my clarinet, and yet it unfailingly fills my soul every time I put it back in my mouth.)


I wanted to know more from James, so I started following him on Twitter, a platform in which he is often active sharing many things that range from his endearing love for Madrid (where I am also currently based), his enthusiastic support for Real Betis, his passion for music and, truth be told, some of his torments.

James has not had an easy life. And he makes sure that we all know it as soon as we open Instrumental, a book that I had been wanting to read pretty much since it was published. About a couple of months ago, James was kind enough to give away his book on Twitter. I promptly downloaded it and devoured it in a few hours.

The book is rough, truth be told. From the go, James reveals the awful sexual abuse he endured as a kid and the ensuing trauma it made on him later in life. Nevertheless, Instrumental is hopeful -James tells us how music ultimately saved his life. I guess that is the price of his relentless honesty: after experiencing a certain grimness while reading brutal passages, you get to enjoy the wonderful tale of music coming up to the rescue. 


This book is enlightening in other ways. At the beginning of each chapter, James writes a brief summary of the musical pieces -and its makers- that nourish his love for music. Rhodes also exposes some not-very-pleasant sides of the personalities of the greatest composers. This is another valuable lesson this book treats us with: we are all flawed, no matter how great we are. 


I think this book resonated deeply with me because music has saved my life as well. Especially in these days of confinement, where fear and anxiety often knock at your door, I am sure I have been able to stay sane thanks to music.

More than just reading this book, I have to say that I also felt it. Which is why, on one hand, I found it very difficult and painful to read due to those dark sections, but on the other it also allowed me to bathe under the glimmering light that music can shine.

In that regard, I can claim in all sincerity that Instrumental is one of the most beautiful love letters to music I have ever read.


Leafing through the pages of this book has been quite a journey. Like life itself, it is plagued with harsh struggles, but also with glorious triumphs. When sunken in darkness, hold on to music, not only will it rescue you -it will also help you stay afloat.



This is James playing Bach’s "Marcello", an interpretation that always brings me to tears…



Comentarios

Entradas populares