La Mallorquina: a jewel of Spanish patisserie


La Mallorquina is truly a unique place. 

It possesses that rare love shared by tourists and locals alike. And when I say people love La Mallorquina, it’s because in the years that I’ve been coming to this wonderful place, there is not one single time in which it wasn’t absolutely packed.

I first visited La Mallorquina in 2005 after hearing a very enthusiastic recommendation from a dear friend: “you have to go there and try the Napolitana de Crema”. I followed her advice and I ended up absolutely captivated by its taste: it was sweet and tender, it was unforgettable. I loved it so much that I remember that I got one whenever I was roaming around el centro

I came back to Madrid in 2015 and, surely enough, I came back for more Napolitanas de Crema. I simply couldn’t get enough of them. Which is why now that I am spending a few months in Madrid, going to La Mallorquina and indulging myself with one of its treats has become one of my rituals. There has been one modification, though: I am now getting Napolitanas de Chocolate, my new favorite after following another enthusiastic suggestion by another friend who just couldn’t believe that I hadn’t tried it yet. 

I could tell you great things about the history of this magnificent place. At the end of the day, it was built over a hundred years ago. It has also represented the meeting point of remarkable politicians and artists over the years. La Mallorquina’s interesting history adds more value to its exceptional offer, indeed.

But I’d rather focus on its flavour, on that extraordinary feeling you get after grabbing a bite of its Napolitanas or Palmeras de Chocolate, small pieces of artisanal perfection that feature La Mallorquina’s greatest attribute: consistency. I can assure you, with absolute honesty, that I haven’t had one single bad experience after hundreds of visits. And it’s that relentless focus on quality that makes it one of my favorite places in the world. 

If you ever come to Madrid, you are surely coming to Sol, so I strongly recommend you to go over La Mallorquina and indulge yourself to a historic treat. Because just like experiencing any classic, I am absolutely sure that you will never forget it.

Comentarios

Entradas populares